Wednesday, February 20, 2013

decorate your own 4th of july shorts


Find an old pair of shorts you don't wear anymore or find a pair from a thrift store.  You can also always use an old pair of pants and cut them into shorts. I personally think high waisted ones are the most fun for these. Then take contact paper that you would use for shelves and drawers and cut even strips for the stripes and place them how you want. I've heard of people using painters tape so I tried that at first, but it does not work as well on fabric so I highly recommend contact paper. It sticks onto fabric better.  For the stars, I cut out a large piece of the contact paper and perfectly lined it up with that side of the shorts. I then cut stars out of it. It helps to draw them out first. When you stick the contact paper on the shorts, the fabric should be showing through the stars, if you did it correctly. Before the next step, I highly recommend covering pockets and anywhere else that you don't want paint to get on with the rest of the contact paper. I also recommend putting pieces inside your shorts as well because the paint can sometimes leak through all the way to the back, depending how thick your shorts are. Then take fabric spray paint and spray away. You can always uses sponges as well, but I personally prefer this technique.

No comments:

Post a Comment